(Check out when some upcoming movies will be released at the bottom)


Friday, September 14, 2007

Breaking Out - Year of Exploration

This year seems to be for me a year of exploration; a breaking out of conventions; a year of "adventure" and pursuance of my passion for the arts.

I've been rather proactive and "daring" this year. 1 obvious exploration was my try-out with the art installation design project. I have never expected myself to do any design or visual art stuff as I can hardly draw. But this being a platform for amateurs, I actually dared to sign up for it. And I won! Well, probably because it's more craft than drawing. That probably boosted my confidence a little. I realised that once I have a concept or inspiration, I am of a 1-track mind.

Then there's my resolve to look into new genres of sound & music and I found electronica/indie. Well, there are various types but it's interesting to explore new ways to make sound & music. I decided not to attend any SSO concerts or classical concerts and to make attempts to go for performances that I have never tried before. Well, there was Electrolab and these few days' Hadaka. Think if I were still in the previous conventional mindset, I wouldn't have gone. Maybe the old ways were getting "boring" or restrictive for me...maybe this year I wanted more activity & dynamism; new things...wanted to feel alive. Maybe because of certain influences.

I've also been seriously looking into photography. Guess it's really because I now have a digital camera which allows me to freely take photos without wasting film and & I can try out the features of the camera. And there's Flickr. Haha...maybe a bit thick-skinned, but some photos I took before looked great to me.

Hmm...think I'm looking at more meaningful doodling, i.e. something that looks like some form. Haha...well, just doodling. Abstract art maybe? Also, I'm trying to integrate into the arts community...maybe join some arts circle or social group. Found 1 though, see how'll it turn out.

Besides artsy stuff, guess doing fencing is a new thing too. I'm not the sporty kind (a bit lazy lah) so yah, at least I"m doing some form of sport.

I've been wondering, as consideration for my career path, have been thinking of specialising in the arts field. As I thought further, I felt that actually I'm more interested in become an 'artist' than an arts librarian. But if I ever get to specialise, probably it'll help me know more about the arts scene in Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment