Recently, the message of "a fearsome GOD" kept popping up to me. Amazingly, the past few weeks of sermons also emphasized on the fear of GOD. Is this just affirmation or I'm really getting attuned to the the dynamics of how GOD is working in the church? :P Anyway, the basic point is that GOD is a fearsome GOD.
Not that it is not a known fact. I guess as Christians, we all know in our minds that we are supposed to fear GOD. But do we take Him for granted? Do all of us fear Him in our hearts? It is true that in the current situation, we emphasize that GOD is a loving GOD and He loves us so much and is merciful (well, that's basically the good news of the gospel), and as preached, some people even say GOD of the New Testament is such and different from that of the terrifying GOD we know in the Old Testament. (Really, He was really terrifying then coz He is a holy GOD...if you know, people were struck dead coz He was just too awesome and holy that the people couldn't come face-to-face into His presence...and if you incur His wrath...)
However, we must remember that GOD is the same yesterday, today and forever and the GOD of the Old Testament is the same as the GOD of the New Testament...He is still a fearsome GOD. Only that He is slow to anger. And the difference now too is that we are under the covering of Jesus, that's why we can now come into His presence safely.
And indeed, I was struck with fear when I was reflecting about the fearsome GOD. If you read Psalm 106, look at what the people did and how GOD reacted. He tolerated them to a certain extent but they were faithless and got trapped once again in the sins of old life and forgot about GOD.
I was terrified of how mighty our GOD is...He is definitely not a weak GOD, it is only that He is loving at the same time (such that if you repent, He will soften His heart). We should really be fearful coz we jolly well know what He can do and should never, ever take Him for granted.
I fear too of the fateful day that I would have to meet Him face-to-face. Will I be cast out of His presence?
Also, when you lose the fear of the LORD, other fears will enter your life and then you'll be in darkness.
To end off, this might sound like an oxymoron, but one should fear the LORD and you will have no fear of the LORD. Which is true. If you fear the LORD, you will obey the laws, and thus you will have no fear of the LORD. You should fear that you don't fear the the LORD.
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment