I'm not one who go for films with strong gay themes (I think I'm a little homophobic), but since there's Ewan McGregor, one of my favourite actors, in it, I went to watch it. (Just like why I watched Brokeback Mountain because of Heath Ledger). And it's released 1 year late (it was released in the US Dec last year).
It was pretty comical watching Ewan (Philip Morris in the show) act 'coy' and "deh" as Jim Carrey's character (Steve) woos him, and how they go about romancing each other.
Actually, the movie was more about antics of the con-artist, Steve, whose venture into conning, as he claims, started out with his "coming out" in the open about his homosexuality after a major accident that prompted him to 'live his life as he wants it'. But being "gay" was expensive, so he started off with insurance scams. He's actually quite smart, able to "smoke" people and even masquerading as a lawyer, top-notch financial controller, etc. He met Philip Morris the first time he got caught, in prison. Philip had gone to jail for renting a car and never returning it. It's quite amazing how Steve managed to pull off his antics quite convincingly, not to mention escaping from prison many times (though the police always manages to catch him back), even to the extent of faking his own death in prison! How's that! That was the best thing he pulled off. And it's amazing that this is actually a true story! And his reason for doing all these? For love.
I must admit I kind of enjoyed the movie even though it was "gay".
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment