As I said, we ate a lot. So dedicating 1 full post, I write about the highlights of what we ate (Hong Kong only). I guess the best way would be chronologically.
Touching down only in the early afternoon, and visiting Disneyland on the same day, our first proper meal/dinner in Hong Kong was at the Plaza Inn Restaurant hosted by Maxim's inside Hong Kong Disneyland. Check out the Mickey carrots!
On our visit to Victoria Peak, we ate at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. located in The Peak Tower, a Forrest Gump-themed restaurant, serving Alabama or Southern food. Here, we watched the scenery turn to fog.
And how can one come to Hong Kong and not eat dim sum? We visited 添好运点心专门店 (Tin Ho Wun) which is supposedly famous for their 叉烧包 (BBQ pork bun) which was rather different from the rest. It's rumoured that people cry of satisfaction when they bite into it. I didn't cry lah, but it was quite different. Reminded me of 菠萝包 (bo luo bao). The dim sum there was generally quite nice. We queued 45 minutes leh, before the shop opened at 10am.
Although I felt it was over-hyped the last time went, I still went along with my friends to The Peninsula for afternoon tea. This time though, we waited over an hour! Guess it's because it was a Saturday. What's more, the tea for 2 set had been inflated by HK$100 since I last went in Oct! I ordered just the scone set as I wasn't very hungry and to me, English afternoon tea's highlight would be scones with clotted cream. I must say the scones I had differed from that on the tiers. Mine had mixed fruits :). I was satisfied as I had a portion of clotted cream to myself for my scones which I distributed equally and abundantly.
HK wanton mee is the soupy kind with prawn-filled wanton and springy noodles. Different from the Malaysian ones we see which are usually dry with char siew and the wantons with minced meat. Actually, I don't know if I'm really so into wanton mee but some recent events seem to have pushed me to pay more attention to them (or maybe those events has taken some joy out of eating wanton mee?). Anyway, Mak's Noodles was closed by the time a few of us went, so we went across the street to their competitor, 沾仔记 (Tsim Chai Kee), with their king prawn wantons.
Oh, one thing you should make a "ritual" when you go to Hong Kong, if you like milk, is to eat the 炖奶 (steamed milk) at 义顺牛奶公司 (Yee Shun Milk Company). We ate this a couple of times and you should eat their 炖蛋 as well.
Since we're in Hong Kong, we should also go to their 茶餐厅 (Hong Kong cafe). We went to 兰芳园 (Lan Fong Yuen) at Gage St, Central. There's the usual nissin noodles, french toast, milk tea, pork chop bun, etc. They were nice, but what won everyone over was the 猪仔包 (zhu zai bao), a baguette-like round bun, toasted crisp on the outside but still soft on the inside, buttered and drizzled with condensed milk. It's amazing how something so simple is so nice. My friends, who have never tried it before are now hooked on it. I must admit that this was one of the best 猪仔包 that I've eaten so far.
That more or less covered our meals in Hong Kong...now onward to Macau!




























Actually I prefer the steam milk at Australia Diary Co. The Yeeshun one I found was too rich and even sharing a bowl we couldn't finish it whereas the Australia Diary one was just nice and also had a better texture I thought. As for 奶油猪 I usually go to Tsui Wah. Still the best I find plus easily available.
ReplyDeleteAustralian Diary Co. had a long queue, so haven't tried. 1 day I shall.
ReplyDeleteI've tried Tsui Wah's 奶油猪 before, it's good, but I found the Lan Fong Yuen one was nicer, maybe because there was more butter and condensed milk.