By J's recommendation, I caught this film over the weekend, with a girl friend who likes Audrey Tautou. Having watched some of Audrey's films on and off, I must say she is really a versatile actress. Too bad I missed Coco Avant Chanel. Missed Priceless too which came and went before I knew it, but good thing it's gonna be screened at Alliance Française de Singapour in September. Hope I remember! I think I missed the Coco Chanel screening already.
Anyway, this is a light-hearted romantic comedy spun from an anonymous love letter which leads to a slew of misunderstandings.
I enjoyed the most part of the show which was quite funny as matters kept getting from bad to worse by the hand of Emilie (Audrey Tautou). But I felt things developed rather sloppily from the point the mother decided to take revenge or continue pretending the lie was still on, just for one night, even though she regretted it later. That event felt jarring to me and kind of "crushed" my feel of the show, which left me a little "unsettled". Maybe because I kind of lost faith in the 'good' Jean. Hence, I couldn't give it a 4 out of 5, as much as I enjoyed the front part.
For me, some of the memorable parts included the silly reason of why Emilie decided to stop talking to Jean as she felt "stupid" now in front of him after finding out he wasn't an ordinary odd-job man, and the scene when he confronted her about it.
The part when her mother followed Jean all the way was quite funny too.
A rather "beautiful" scene was the part when Emilie tells Jean that she will come clean with her mother so he doesn't need to play along anymore. The whole conversation was overheard by her mother who was just behind a screen they were standing in front of. That image felt rather artistically done to me, as if she were watching a film. The subtlety yet drama of that scene kind of caught my attention. Haha...maybe I'm just reading too much into it.
It was nice that it started with an anonymous letter, and ended with another that brought the "original couple" together.
10 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment