(Check out when some upcoming movies will be released at the bottom)


Sunday, April 22, 2012

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen


With a title like that, I would have missed the show if it weren't for Ewan McGregor. Although I am a little biased, having Ewan in the show (one of my favorite actors), I, surprisingly, enjoyed the show.

The movie is a romantic comedy about a fishery expert Fred (Ewan) who was unwillingly roped into introducing salmon fishing in the Yemen as commissioned by a wealthy sheikh (Amr Waked), which would benefit the British government as a goodwill (and profitable) act amidst some bad news on the Afghanistan war front. Emily Blunt plays Harriet, who is the representative for the sheikh, and whom Fred falls in love eventually. More of the story here.

I loved the humour, and Violet and I couldn't help laughing at many points in the show, especially Fred with his geekiness filled with sincerity. Kristin Scott Thomas was really funny too with her role as the PM's opportunistic press secretary, Patricia Maxwell.

I love to watch UK films which I feel has a different element...maybe it's the humour or a certain "smartness" to some of them. Or maybe it's the British accent. It's also been a while since we've heard Ewan with his Scottish accent onscreen, reminding us he's Scottish. Charming.

No comments:

Post a Comment