Good ol' suspense horror.
It's telling of the story was quite different from the play, and having been unable to finish the book, I can't make comparisons there. And by the way, I loved the play. One of my favourites...or else I wouldn't have made the effort to watch this.
From the early start of the movie, I could feel the suspense building. I began wondering, "shucks, why am I watching this alone, scaring myself", feeling a tinge of regret. Being flanked by couples on both sides didn't help. It would have been good to have some kind of company, even if it's a girlfriend (or a pet), but most of my friends don't watch horror, and it was an afternoon show. But of course, not to waste my ticket, I shouldered on.
Daniel Radcliffe, after Harry Potter, takes on another brooding role, but in a more mature capacity as Kipps. Having lost his wife not too long ago and having a last chance to prove himself in his career as a lawyer, Kipps takes on the role in handling the estate management of the late Alice Drablow out at Eel Marsh Manor. You can read the story here.
As I said, the whole atmosphere created by the show was pretty tense. And it was maintained for most part of the movie, and the terrible deaths of the children in the village were tragic. That wasn't in the play (or the book?). However, it didn't end as scarily, though it was inevitable, and tragic still. However, it looked like Kipps ended up in a better place where he and his son gets reunited with his wife.
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment