ok, this happened about 2 weeks ago, so my memory's already fading. Nonetheless, I shall note down what I can remember.
As part of the 4th annual Singapore Sun Festival, Natalie Cole had a solo concert on Sunday, 31 Oct. I managed to get tickets via Keppel Nights which offered tickets at $29, but they were the cheapest seats, last row, last circle. I have never really listened to Natalie Cole's songs, but I'm a fan of her father's (Nat King Cole), so with a girlfriend (who really wanted to go), we attended the concert together.
Opening the show, Natalie Cole came out donning a mask, as it was Halloween. The performance was split into 3 parts - more classic oldies, ballads and the encore. Natalie wowed audiences with her superb voice and displayed her versatility. However, naturally, being a fan of Nat King Cole, my faves were the songs which she sang "with" him (namely Unforgettable and When I Fall in Love), as images/footage of him was projected onto the backdrop. Somehow, it was kind of moving and you can see her being moved too. We were in for a treat too when she invited The Canadian Tenors (3 out of the actual 4) to sing a couple of songs as guest artistes, with of course her singing one with them. Both my friend and I agreed that out of the trio present, Victor Micallef sounded the best to us.
Ok, I can't really describe much now as I've forgotten the details, but she did start to sound like she was "panting" a little towards the end of the 2-hour (plus) show, but she was still game to sing a number of encore songs (which didn't reveal her tiredness, except maybe between pauses). She rounded up the show with a rock song (didn't know she sang rock too!) that left the audience on a high.
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment