It's really scary hearing about the slashing incidents that's been happening. What's worse was that it happened in broad daylight, at community places like resorts (for families) and housing estates, and the culprits were all quite young, mainly teens, and the Bukit Panjang one was like more for fun.
I've probably mentioned this before to some friends, that I was very nearly collateral damage during a gang fight. Nope, of course I was not in any gangs, but was at the wrong place and wrong time (as were those around me).
It was about 10 years ago, when I was still in university. My friends and I (if I recall correctly) had just finished watching a movie and were just walking along Orchard Road when there was a commotion behind us. We turned around and saw a mob running towards us, with parangs! In the middle of Orchard Road! We were in the pavement just in front of Mandarin Hotel.
I don't know why, but somehow, I ended up being the only one left standing right in the middle of the pavement. Maybe I was a bit slow in reacting, or maybe something held me back because everything happened so fast. It was a gang fight between 2 gangs and 1 group ran past me (on both sides). It turned out to be a wise thing not to move for the time being then or I might have gotten in the way and maybe I won't be here telling you this already. Fortunately, there came a break in between the chase and I finally got a chance to move to the side, and watched the going ons. There was one particular guy who leaped over the fencing of the hotel (there used to be one before the renovations) but was chased after by 2 others who had parangs. I believed he was slashed, but he did run back again and as fate would have it, hopped onto a taxi and just nice, the traffic light turned green and the taxi went off. Think the taxi driver would have been freaked out too if he didn't drive off immediately. Soon, the coast was clear and things returned to normal.
Strangely, I didn't feel scared at all, during or even after the incident, so I won't attribute my inaction to shock coz I was totally aware. One of my friends with me actually had the cheek to joke after the incident that as I was wearing a white top, it would have been ugly if I really got chopped, you know, blood and stuff.
Anyway, it was yet another close shave. Thank GOD for sending angels to protect me.
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment