Recently, I took a step of faith by inserting my Christian name into my IC (it was the time to re-register). You might think it's nothing, but coming from a non-Christian background, it was a rather major decision. When the notification came, I took a long time contemplating because I was wary of my parents' reaction. (Also partly because I thought I needed a deed poll to add in the name, which wasn't so...I only needed my baptism cert.)
I thank God that after all these years, they have finally accepted that I'm a Christian. But I still had my concerns as amending my name would seem a big taboo. What will they say when they find out? But eventually, after 4 months of running it in my mind, I decided to insert my Christian name anyway as my commitment to God, of course with a prayer for favour. Good thing I got myself baptised before this need arose, which was my "first" major step of faith, so that I had this option. In case you were wondering, I did mention that I was going to get baptised (which was about 2 years ago), whether they accepted it or not (I wrote a long letter). But praise God that they treated me like an adult who can make my own decision, although they didn't really give their consent.
Of course, I haven't told them about this addition, but a recent notice to collect my IC arrived and I guess they would have seen the extra name there?
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment