Hmm...it's been a while since I watched an "artsy" film...by "artsy" I mean abstract that requires some mulling over. And New York, I Love You was such a film, a little on the artsy side where one has to focus on the whole concept of the show, cinematography and how the show was put together.
It turns out that it wasn't the romantic comedy that I thought it would be, and obviously, wasn't like Love Actually, which I initially thought it would be like from the synopsis and trailer. Well, it painted a rather dim, fleeting picture of relationships, although there were some warm ones like the old couple (I liked that story...very old school). It was actually a rather interesting way of depicting New York and relationships. I noticed there was the focus on the wedding ring in some of the stories, like in the 1st story with Hayden Christensen (he looked a little different), the Shu Qi story and the couple at dinner near the end. The only thing I couldn't get was the Shia Lebouf segment. What was that all about? A bit weird (though I liked the music). I don't know. I thought the woman was planning of killing herself (jumping through the window?), but then it was pretty weird when Shia jumped out instead with "how can you bear it". Was he a personification of her crippled soul? Or some memory of distant past? It was pretty strange.
My interpretation? I think one must take the movie as a collective whole. To me, it portrays the diversity and abstract nature of New York, but yet with little nuggets of stories behind people and relationships. It's after all called New York, I Love You. So one can presume it's about NY. But yet, one can take into view the abstract nature and complexity of love and relationships. Rather poignant. Some find love, some lose love, some trapped by love, some dream of love.
Initially, I had mixed feelings about the show, partly because I had expected something else, but on 2nd thought, it wasn't too bad upon analysing the context and concept of it. The stories were a little jumpy though at times due to its fleeting nature. Actually, I can't really determine if it was a good or bad movie. It's definitely not one that makes you feel good, but yet it's thought-provoking.
Anyway, I suddenly thought of this when on my way home:
"爱情像流沙。当你抓得太紧时,它就越会流失。倘若你轻轻用双手捧起, 你便能溢出盛多的爱。"
10 years ago

It is indeed a poignant movie but i loved it all the same. Haha, maybe i'm just too much of a masochist to enjoy such melancholy-inducing shows.
ReplyDeleteI liked the married couple segment (the husband and wife outside the restaurant), and the aged singer in the hotel story. I didn't know what the latter was about though, but you have provided me something to think about - how it could be a personafication of how she felt? Crippled but duty-bound, sad but eager to please. That segment invoked in me this sense of despondency but well, we have to remind ourselves it's a movie.
I love movies like these! :p
yes, I liked the show, in a way, because of the poignant nature, but it didn't have the "wow" factor somehow, that should strike me.
ReplyDeleteI like movies that make me think & reflect, although I left the theatre slightly disoriented, 乱, I don't know how to describe that feeling. Maybe a tad more "heavy-hearted". The "yes" & "no" feel and it leaves an impression but yet doesn't.
Ha! I found the word! It felt like it had a touch of impressionism in it. :)