How shall I start the documentation of my trip? Hmm...think the first place to start would be an incident that occurred during my journey there.
I was told at the SQ counter in Singapore that my luggage was tagged all the way to Vancouver and I would just need to check myself in when I reached Shanghai. This of course, didn't happen.
By the way, I had to check in separately as my connecting flight, Air Canada, doesn't fly to Singapore from Vancouver (SQ doesn't fly there anymore) and I couldn't do online check in. On arriving at Shanghai, I was a bit short of time since I only had 2 hours to clear immigrations, clear customs, and go check in for my flight (I haven't got my seat yet you know), and most check-in counters close like 1-2 hours before the flight. Thinking my luggage would automatically transfer to my connecting flight, I tried to clear the immigrations and customs quickly but upon reaching the check-in counter, to my horror, I was told that I needed to collect luggage from my earlier flight and check that in as well. She asked me to hurry as they were closing counter soon.
So I made a mad rush to get back into the customs area, collect the bag, pass customs again (fortunately they allowed me to take a special queue as I explained the situation). So yah, I had a pretty good workout running round the airport like a mad woman and got myself checked in for my flight. Think the counter girl kindly waited for me, and good thing I was meeting a friend to fly to Vancouver together (she had been in Shanghai for a couple of days) so there was some comfort.
I think it was a good thing it was Shanghai, which is a rather efficient airport and not to mention there's the World Expo going on, so service was exceptionally good. And of course, maybe being able to speak Mandarin helped. :) Fortunately, having had the experience, my home flight was more relaxed.
Anyway, an aerial view of Shanghai to share.
10 years ago


Wow, what a way to start the trip!
ReplyDelete