Bidding farewell to our hospitable B&B host, we began with a trip to Butchart Gardens. It's a must-go if you love flowers. Of course, the "trigger-happy" us went crazy trying to photograph all the flowers we could. We rounded up our photo outing with a sumptuous English afternoon tea, complete with tiers and giant pots of tea. The greedy us realised we should have just ordered 2 pots of tea, but we wanted to try many flavours.

After Butchart Gardens, we headed towards Nanaimo, but not without stopping by a winery. We came to Church & State Wines where we did some wine tastings. The result? I bought an award-winning rosé (although strangely, it was called Cabernet Blanc), the very last bottle they had, which was actually the display bottle with a medal draped round its neck. Of course, they kept the medal. The wine smelled like honey and had a tinge of honey taste. After that, we made our journey to Nanaimo, where we were staying for the night at a hostel, Painted Turtle Hi-Hostel. I'm not really one for hostels (the last time I stayed in a hostel was in Uni days), mainly because I prefer ensuite bathrooms, but this was surprisingly not too bad, relatively new, with a nice common area and rather clean (quite different from another one I was to stay later). 4 of us shared 1 room, which was a bit squeezy, but it was just for 1 night.
We were rather full from our tea, so we just had poutine and perogies at this place called Pirate Chips, followed by a stroll along the wharf. We saw an otter/seal (too dark to tell), but couldn't get a shot of it. Nanaimo was practically a dead town at night this time of the year as the shops were all closed, except for food or pubs.






No comments:
Post a Comment