(Check out when some upcoming movies will be released at the bottom)


Thursday, December 24, 2009

Which aspect of musicals do I want to do?

My friend asked me, in view of a musical theatre course we might be taking up, what aspect of musical theatre do I wish to achieve out of the course. I can't tell for the course as I'm not really sure what it's going to cover, but I did realise I hadn't consciously thought of it. Let's see...what aspect of musical theatre would I want a part in?

If you say singing (which includes acting), well, I like to sing the songs, but not in the performance aspect, but more of "singalong" and knowing the songs. My voice not power enough lah.

Dancing...I would say I have 1.5 left feet and come to think of it, if I ever do dancing, it will need to be pretty solo...not because I'm individualistic, but I can't remember the steps!

Music. This could be a consideration, and I would really love to be able to compose music/songs for the show. However, due to my limited musical capabilities, it's a bit tough, although I think I can help with the lyrics to songs. Anyway, someone once said that there shouldn't be too many composers for a musical as it would cause conflicting styles within the musical.

Now, the story. I think this would be closest to what I would want to achieve. I still recall the fascination I had when I first read the script for Phantom of the Opera (I confess it's probably the first full script of any musical I've read) where the dialogue, scenes, backdrop, etc. were all carefully laid out. Also, I like to "daydream" or imagine storylines. Another reason could be that I used to dream of writing a book, which of course never came to pass as books are too long to write. Musicals are a good length and you can imagine the drama & flamboyance.

Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment