(Check out when some upcoming movies will be released at the bottom)


Sunday, November 06, 2011

Hong Kong Oct 2011 - Day 4 Highlights

Finally! I'm at the Australian Dairy Company, the eatery I failed to try on the past 2 visits.
Wow, it was really bustling and order taking & turnover was fast fast fast! Think I was really getting a feel for the Hong Kong busyness here.
For convenience, we ordered 2 breakfast sets (which consisted of macaroni with ham, buttered toast, fried/scrambled eggs and coffee) and added on 1 more drink, the 炖奶 (doubled boiled milk) and 炖蛋 (double-boiled egg custard). And I must say that I preferred the 炖奶 here to Yee Shun Milk Company. The taste of the milk was more distinct and had that creamy fresh milk taste. The macaroni was pretty normal, but the bread was nice and soft and eggs just nice.
HK_Oct2011-285 HK_Oct2011-286 HK_Oct2011-287 HK_Oct2011-288 HK_Oct2011-290 HK_Oct2011-291
All that came up to about HKD107 (SGD 17), so that's about S$6 for each of us. The breakfast set costs HKD26 each.

It was back to shopping again as we stopped over at Yue Hwa on Nathan Road. That's where I bought my fave buy on the trip, a pair of navy blue leather Clarks heels at just HKD599 (a little less than S$100). One familiar with Clarks will know that their shoes usually cost more than S$100-200 at least, and this was probably an older model which was on sale. Good thing they had my size and it looked pretty good when I stepped into it. :)
HK_Oct2011-406
The next highlight would be our Lei Garden (利苑) trip to eat dimsum. I must say the dimsum here was one of the best we've tried so far, pretty good quality and 精致. Think I will blog about this on my food blog.
HK_Oct2011-298 HK_Oct2011-299 HK_Oct2011-309 HK_Oct2011-302 HK_Oct2011-304 HK_Oct2011-305 HK_Oct2011-306 HK_Oct2011-310
Check out their huge lobsters and fish swimming in their tanks.
HK_Oct2011-312 HK_Oct2011-311
And well, since I was in the vicinity, I bought my Giallo bag which I had talked about earlier.

Well, I'm one who doesn't like crowds, but one will have to get an experience of the night crowds at Fa Yuen Street (花园街), Ladies Street (女人街), etc. in the Mongkok area, which was a stone's throw from the hotel. Fa Yuen Street is where you can find lots of sports goods/shoes. Didn't really buy anything there as maybe the crowd got to me. Ha! There were also street food at shops like these:
HK_Oct2011-320 HK_Oct2011-319 HK_Oct2011-315
Yes, that's 臭豆腐 (smelly beancurd) that you see and of course, got to try.
HK_Oct2011-317
This one wasn't super smelly and I've come across smellier ones, not that I'm a big fan of these.We also tried the curry fishballs that Hong Kong is famous for (always see on TV) and ordered a fishball mix with curry and non-curry fishballs (which was almost the same) and some radish/white carrot.
HK_Oct2011-321
The fishballs weren't great and tasted more like lumps of starch with no fish taste at all, but the radish was nice. Well, guess it's hard to find authentic curry fishballs around here, or are they really like that? I think I can get nicer fishballs in Singapore and just cook them in curry.

With just these light snacks, we still had to get dinner and decided to hunt for this roast meat place the local agent recommended. Wah! It started to drizzle and we had to walk really far to find this place 永合隆饭店, asking around when nobody seem to have heard of this place (casted some doubt on its popularity). Maybe it was late and so the cuts left weren't great, but we felt it wasn't worthed our long walk and money, not to mention the "ambience". The only redeeming factor was that it had the best 烧肉 skin we had on the trip, and I mean skin only. The meat was too fatty. Think we spent about HKD200-300 on these 2 plates of meat and a simple soup.
HK_Oct2011-323
We had a much better experience the next day at 强记 which was also cheaper.

Well, at least the night was slightly redeemed by a bowl of herbal jelly (龟苓膏) on the way back and we found a MTR station nearby. Don't know how I managed to finish the big bowl of jelly, but probably because I didn't eat much of the above.
HK_Oct2011-326

1 comment:

  1. I love the 炖奶 at Australian Dairy Company, much better than Yee Shun (the taste got a bit too much after a few mouthfuls) I feel. Also love 臭豆腐 (must have it with lots of sweet sauce and chilli sauce) but I think that in recent years it seems to have gotten less smelly.

    ReplyDelete