(Check out when some upcoming movies will be released at the bottom)


Wednesday, November 23, 2011

My adventure with Tintin

The "adventure" began even before the show, over the drama of the faulty 3D imaging.

At first I thought it was just my 3D glasses, but it turned out that everyone was facing the same problem - we were seeing double images on the screen instead of a 3D effect. My neighbour went to tell the old uncle outside (who distributed the 3D glasses) and was informed that he would notify the management, and she came back to the seat to await action. We thought that was settled, even though the 3D effect still wasn't in effect and the trailers were ending, with the movie starting soon. Well, I didn't really expect immediacy as the message needs to get passed on and investigation done. And I felt that as long as it could be resolved within 5 minutes and not too far into the show, it should be fine. The most would be to pause or restart the film.
However, about 30 seconds after my neighbour reported the issue, one impatient male patron went to check and seeing the old man still outside, started berating the poor man very loudly, accusing him of not doing anything. I didn't hear the old man's reply, but I do believe he did report the matter (I'm sure he called?). And it was none too soon that the patron began shouting down the corridor for someone to do something. OMG! I began to feel embarrassed for whoever who came with this man. He didn't have to do that. I also felt sorry for the poor old man. Thank goodness the patron didn't keep at it too long. My neighbour felt really bad for the old man and I overheard her saying, at the end of the show, that she wanted to apologise on behalf of the man whom she didn't know. I guess she felt somehow responsible because she went to tell the old man about the problem. Well, the 3D effect came back on during the opening credits, so they were pretty prompt in rectifying the error. Anyway, as a friend told me, the 3D for this show wasn't great.
On my way out, I thanked the old man as I handed him the 3D glasses, hoping he wouldn't feel so bad after that saga and not everyone is like that patron.

In any case, after the show, the management sent someone to apologise for the technical fault and offered us a ticket exchange for a free show at the theatre (Nex).

As a side note, one good thing about Shaw is that, if you noticed, they hire the elderly. I even believe (or hope to believe) that some of these staff could have been with the organisation for years. I still recall all the old uncles at Lido tearing the tickets for us.

Ok, now for the movie itself.

Well, I didn't really know how the story was going to be told, and it was to my slight "disappointment" that it turned out to be a 'mash-up' of a few different stories from the series. Ok, it is my fault to have expected something else and to compare it to the books. I had expected a closer keeping to the books. No wonder they started in the middle of the series like that. If you follow the series, by the time of the "Secret of the Unicorn", Tintin already knew the captain and wanted to buy the ship model for Captain Haddock. But this wasn't the case in the movie. The whole show mixed around the sequence to bring in the various encounters and characters. Well, I guess there isn't a need for too many sequels, if any! If there's a sequel, Calculus should finally be in as he was supposed to help them in finding Rackham's treasure.

One of the things I didn't like about the movie was the graphics. Well, maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I still preferred the old type of drawings. Also, I can't reconcile Jamie Bell's look to Tintin's look. I don't really see the resemblance. I think it's the eyes. But I knew all these beforehand so I was prepared for that. But somehow, the movie wasn't as light-hearted as the books. Yeah, there were the funny parts in the movie too, but it felt a bit darker here with less humour. I guess they wanted to add on that "mystery adventure" feel. And really, I would have enjoyed more of the "blistering barnacles" and "thundering typhoons" from Haddock.
What did I like or found good? Hmm...even though I didn't like it, I guess you can say the story was weaved together quite nicely. I think it's still a feat to combine so many stories together.

Oh! I recently acquired DVDs of the old animated series that was shown on TV eons ago. I must go re-watch them. And back to the books too.

2 comments:

  1. Aiyoh, tell you not to watch 3D already you don't want to listen. You always never listen to what I have to say one. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least I got a free ticket out of it!

    ReplyDelete