(Check out when some upcoming movies will be released at the bottom)


Saturday, November 05, 2011

Hong Kong Oct 2011 - Day 3 Highlights

Day 3!

Well, I decided to bring my parents to this well-known dimsum shop that I came last time. It was actually very near my hotel (as opposed) to my last trip here earlier this year. The place is called 添好运点心专门店 (Tin Ho Wun). Even though the shop only opens at 10am, it's best to start queuing by 9am if you want to be in the 1st batch, or else you've got to wait for at least an hour or more. Well, that's what happened as we arrived around 9.30am. We missed the 1st batch (and 2nd batch by 1 queue in line) but were issued queue numbers. By the time we finally got in, it was already 11 plus. But anyway, in between, we walked around the area and found a small shop selling some traditional snacks like 白糖糕 and the elusive 砵仔糕. It looks something like chwee kueh, but is sweet and has red bean inside normally.
HK_Oct2011-230
My parents also bought some dried Korean persimmons which were very much cheaper in Hong Kong (HKD15/S$2-3 for almost half kg) compared to Singapore ($1 for 2 persimmons).
HK_Oct2011-245

Anyway, when we finally went into the Tin Ho Wun, I basically ordered most of the same thing from before. A bit less though since it was just 3 of us. The char siew bao seems to have shrunk though, but I think the 马拉糕 is still nice. Think the 桂花糕 is also a personal favourite, giving us refreshing palette after the end of the meal. We waited very long for the siew mai, which wasn't super though.
HK_Oct2011-234 HK_Oct2011-237 HK_Oct2011-238
HK_Oct2011-241 HK_Oct2011-243
I believe this place is popular because of its affordable prices and it's supposed to be famous for its char siew bao. They do have outlets elsewhere which are bigger and open earlier, but I doubt I will visit here again. There are so many other places to try! And don't want to queue again. Waste time.

Well, this day's plan was to visit 南丫岛 (Lamma Island) which I told my parents before. However, we stopped by my cousin's Vietnamese restaurant first. I say my cousin, but he's actually around the age of my father already. My grandfather is his father's brother. I've never met him before, or so I thought, but it seems that he came for my brother's wedding a couple of years ago. Anyway, the hospitable him gave us a good meal (even though we were quite full) of beef pho (large bowl), some Vietnamese fried snacks and his homemade kamquat tea. We visited his apartment too, which was located in the street behind the eatery.
HK_Oct2011-252 HK_Oct2011-247 HK_Oct2011-248 HK_Oct2011-249
View from his apartment:
HK_Oct2011-250

After the full meal, I was quite concerned about the ferry ride to Lamma Island, but fortunately, we got there safely. I couldn't resist taking a picture of the new HK Apple Store at IFC on our way to the ferry pier. It was bustling.
HK_Oct2011-253
My mum was pretty onz about the trail through Lamma Island as compared to my father. That's why we were there as I felt safe to bring them there since I was before. She enjoyed herself pretty much while we tried to motivate my father by allowing him to order a can of beer at the end of trail. Haha!
HK_Oct2011-259
Anyway, this time we were a little late as we took the 4 something ferry. Due to the time of the year, the sun was setting at 5 plus, so we were walking in darkness nearer the end of the trail. The trail took about 2 hours (from the speed we walked). It can be done in less.
Our destination, the Rainbow Seafood Restaurant at around 6pm:
HK_Oct2011-260
15 minutes later:
HK_Oct2011-262
Looking back:
HK_Oct2011-263
If we were even later, it would have been a longer dark road for us.
So here's our well-deserved dinner.
HK_Oct2011-264 HK_Oct2011-270 HK_Oct2011-271
HK_Oct2011-272 HK_Oct2011-273
The restaurant has its own ferry back to the main HK island and Kowloon. Good thing it was a bigger ferry, or else I might have gotten seasick. Here's a not very clear pic on the way back.
HK_Oct2011-276
We alighted at Tsim Tsa Tsui, and I couldn't help but take photos of the changing coloured lights of the Space Museum.
HK_Oct2011-278 HK_Oct2011-279 HK_Oct2011-280 
HK_Oct2011-281 HK_Oct2011-282
Well, that's day 3. Hey! No shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment