Fortunately, I managed to repair my violin and take guitar lessons as hoped for. But I didn't write a single song this year! And never wrote my drama in full. Looks like I have to carry forward some of the things and be less ambitious.
But I must say, it's been a rather eventful year for me. One major event that impacted me most would have to be in the aspect of my career. The re-org has totally changed my job scope. Although apprehensive initially with the new department, I really thank God for it. I had been looking for some changes as I'd reached the restless stage in my previous job scope. And it was a great "escape" for me as I'm relieved at not needing to do the things I used to do if I were still in my old department, especially when my pet projects had been taken away from our division due to the re-org. Not that the old stuff were bad, but I've done it for too long that I'm no longer motivated or learning new things. But in this new area, I've learnt a lot of new things and had even had the chance to gain knowledge on the Singapore music scene. Still learning, but I do hope I get to fit in eventually.
Another area related to my work is that I finally got to try out being on reference counter as a "CCA" for my professional development. Well, still learning, but will see how I'll fare as time goes by.
Another major deed I did was the addition of my Christian name into my IC. This was a step of faith and commitment.
I've taken a few trips (again) this year, so talk about breaks. Went to Fukuoka, Vancouver and Shanghai/Hongkong. However, it didn't really feel I've been away much (except maybe Vancouver) due to how work has been with all the happenings in the department and the year kind of just flew by.
In terms of ministry, I know I said I wanted to volunteer in church as one of my resolutions, but somehow, it has not been very successful. I've been having some doubts lately because of all the timing issues. Maybe it's some sign or maybe I've been having too many things on my plate this year? I submitted my name earlier this year but that didn't work out. And I tried to volunteer again for children ministry worship, but I missed the "open house" as I was away, so am waiting for the next opportunity for that...and needs audition. Not sure if it's because my church is so huge that they have no lack of people?
But anyway, I volunteered to facilitate cellgroup for our 40 Days of Faith program, or at least part of it. It was great as we saw many visitors.
Another thing I did was sign up for a worship songwriting workshop with Bob Fitts. It was an enriching experience.
In pursuing the arts, I took some musical theatre classes with my friend, although both of us "dropped out" near the end. It was something to learn some of the going-ons in making a musical, the songs, the singing, the dancing, the history, the set up, etc, if we were ever to write our own musical. And talking about productions, I think I've caught a fair amount of concerts and productions this year as compared to before. Haha...probably to compensate for the lack of movies this years as well, although the price difference is huge. :P
Anyway, like I said, I didn't really get to write creatively, either musically or dramatically(?), except maybe for some half-storylines/concepts. However, in another aspect of writing, I've started not one, but two blogs with my friends. One for theatre, another on food. And I might be looking at setting up one more, on my own, depending on the prompting I get. Wow, I realise it requires a lot of discipline but it's exciting, especially when you check out the stats! Ha! A friend joked I was becoming a "slave" to my food blog. I hope not!
Songcraft was meant to attempt new directions, but I must say, I guess it didn't work out and everyone got busy and thus, it's more or less dormant. Well, we might have some annual event to bring back memories, but who knows? Anyway, the core group is kind of still sticking together. How ironic it was when we so violently reacted to the news of the "end of Songcraft" joke but now we're so cool about it. It was a great journey nonetheless and a lot of us were motivated to keep writing because of the group. I enjoyed the safe dynamics we shared as we came together to share our own music in the most honest and raw form. Sweet memories.
On another level, I discovered this Christian arts group CreateLeVoyage (CLV) in the course of my work and have recently attended 2 sessions. They have their meets once a month, and some of these are arts professionals like poets, painters, etc. Of course, some don't do it full time, but they are at 'that' level. From what I've know, they do different things in each session, which can range from Bible study to art criticism. Wonder if I can fully assimilate into the group eventually. It feels like I have another cellgroup, but with common interests. Ha!
Also, I began to wonder at how amazing that this must be God's plan. If He hadn't moved me to the new department, I wouldn't have discovered this group! He always does these things. Just as how He brought me into my org which has really broadened my horizons and allowed me to meet new friends and pursue my passion for the arts. I love it how He moves. His timing is always perfect. And I just re-read this which I posted in early Feb, before the re-org and all:
"You know something, I have been having this feeling that my lost opportunity to transfer out of my dept has something to do with the plans and happenings coming this year. I can't put my finger to it, but there's something there."
Although I've forgotten the details of all that, but it's amazing isn't it? C'est La Vie!And I believe this is the word the Lord has given me for the year.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
~ Jeremiah 29:11
Talking about Jeremiah, I believed I've more or less managed to cover most of Jeremiah, despite it being quite "depressing". So that's considered partial fulfillment of 1 of my resolutions I guess. Wonder what book next?




"I've only achieved 5.5 out of 18 resolutions (too ambitious!)."
ReplyDelete5.5?!? How come got 0.5? Haha! Wah, the way you assess your resolutions is almost like KPI like that...as if it were a year-end job evaluation.
"Another major deed I did was the addition of my Christian name into my IC. This was a step of faith and commitment."
Cool, I didn't know that. So is it the short version or long version? (You like to keep two Christian names right?)
"And I might be looking at setting up one more, on my own, depending on the prompting I get."
Nice. What is the blog going to be about?
"On another level, I discovered this Christian arts group CreateLeVoyage (CLV) in the course of my work and have recently attended 2 sessions. They have their meets once a month, and some of these are arts professionals like poets, painters, etc. Of course, some don't do it full time, but they are at 'that' level."
This is interesting. How come you never mentioned this to me before?
And by the way, even though you wrote a long 2010 review, you still did not review a major aspect of your life...an aspect that your friends are interested to know about. =)
"How come got 0.5?"
ReplyDeleteHalf-done that's why lor.
"So is it the short version or long version? (You like to keep two Christian names right?)"
I only have 1 Christian name, that's Ilsa. Added it behind my original full name.
"What is the blog going to be about?"
It will be like a devotional, if I do get it going. Haha...an attempt to get some discipline in my Bible reading, if it works. Still praying about what book to start with. If I can get someone to "study" it with, even better.
"How come you never mentioned this to me before?"
eh...it's recent?
"you still did not review a major aspect of your life"
eh...what might that be? =P
No updates I know of unless someone updates me. Ha!
"Half-done that's why lor."
ReplyDeleteHmmm, so which one was it that was half-done?
"I only have 1 Christian name, that's Ilsa. Added it behind my original full name."
I see. But then why do you like to use your "other" name (the longer one) so much, on your blogs and all that? It's almost as if you have two official Christian names.
"No updates I know of unless someone updates me. Ha!"
Eh? I thought this kind of thing you will know best? No need people to update you right, haha!
Sorry forgot to leave my name in the previous comment.
ReplyDelete"Hmmm, so which one was it that was half-done?"
ReplyDeleteStudy a Book in the Bible?
"But then why do you like to use your "other" name (the longer one) so much, on your blogs and all that?"
That is a nickname/pseudonym derived from my Christian name and surname lah. Not my serious name.
"I thought this kind of thing you will know best?"
These things need two hands to clap.
"I thought this kind of thing you will know best?"
ReplyDeleteThese things need two hands to clap.
Haha, I think these things are probably too private to share on a public blog perhaps??
"you still did not review a major aspect of your life"
ReplyDelete"I thought this kind of thing you will know best?"
"These things need two hands to clap."
"Haha, I think these things are probably too private to share on a public blog perhaps??"
Oh hang on a minute...what are you all thinking about? I was referring to her Spiritual Life!
;)
haha...I did mention about my spiritual life.
ReplyDelete