(Check out when some upcoming movies will be released at the bottom)


Friday, October 16, 2009

500 Days of Summer

Caught the show this evening and well, I liked it very much indeed. The way it's filmed, the humour yet sadness involved all makes it work. It is a story about love. What was poignant was the message of love & destiny, yet the irony of it all was the one who believed in it initially became disillusioned about it while the one who didn't believe believed in the end. Somehow, I think it's so real how we face relationships and I believe one can identify with the protagonist (Tom), whether male or female. There was 1 particular scene when they met again at a friend's wedding where when he looked at her, you could see that he had a sense of hopefulness, yet also a sense of loss/forlornness...maybe I read too much into it, but well, I think that happens. It ended on a lighter note though, and the coincidence of "autumn" coming after "summer" which made him give that look at the end. And so he starts from Day 1 again with Autumn.

Well, what really is love? As put across, "you just know it" when it happens, just like when Summer said she just knew it (with her husband) what she was never sure about with Tom, or how Tom put it initially..."you just know".

Well, I tried to remember some quotes from the show which seemed pretty true and enlightening:

1) There was the part when his friends were talking about their dream girls. Well, what Paul said at the end struck me - "Robin is so much better than my dream girl...she's real". Don't we keep dreaming and have that ideal girl/guy in our minds? What is real is so much more important.

2) Tom has a fairly mature younger sister whom he seeks for love advice. Well, what she pointed out was that he's probably always only looking at the good things. so next time when he looks back, he should look again.

3) Well also when he met Autumn, he asks her "how come I never saw you before" after she said she noticed him at the park. Her reply (can't recall the exact phrase) was that maybe he wasn't looking.

I also suddenly thought of why I found Joseph Gordon-Levitt so familiar, besides the fact that he was the boy in Third Rock From The Sun (he has grown a lot since and lost those shoulder-length tresses he had on the show). He reminds me of Heath Ledger! Don't you find that they look alike?

Maybe I should also consider venturing to read the book featured called "Architecture of Happiness". And I'm very much considering getting the soundtrack.

What's next? Will be catching Julie & Julia next week. It's about cooking and there's Amy Adams (& Meryl Streep). It'll be fun.

I must catch My Sister's Keeper which is opening next week. Just watching the trailer made me remember the story which made me teared...I cried "buckets" when reading the book. I'll probably be weeping when watching the show. There's Cameron Diaz and "Little Miss Sunshine". Don't think I'll have time to re-read the book again before the show though.

Also, Amelia is finally coming (saw the trailer). The story about Amelia Earhart. Ok, I must admit I want to watch it because of Ewan McGregor. But she's also an inspiring woman...the trailer made me think of Aviator though.

Also saw the trailer of My Girlfriend Is An Agent. Might watch that someday if I have time (so many shows to watch!). It looks pretty funny.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting review!

    "It ended on a lighter note though, and the coincidence of "autumn" coming after "summer" which made him give that look at the end. And so he starts from Day 1 again with Autumn."

    Ooh, you just revealed the ending there, haha!

    "Well, what really is love? As put across, "you just know it" when it happens, just like when Summer said she just knew it (with her husband) what she was never sure about with Tom, or how Tom put it initially..."you just know"."

    True. I think that is one of the biggest things I learnt from the movie. And it can be quite a sad thing too, sometimes.

    "Maybe I should also consider venturing to read the book featured called "Architecture of Happiness"."

    Is there really such a book? I thought it was just a fake title, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, you just revealed the ending there, haha!

    Oops!

    Is there really such a book?

    Yes there is! I went to search on Amazon.com. It's written by Alain de Botton. :)

    ReplyDelete