(Check out when some upcoming movies will be released at the bottom)


Thursday, October 29, 2009

Food, Food Places & Me

Some people think I'm a little "atas" about food places, but I'm not! I just like the place to be clean (well, at least visually) so that I can eat in peace. Contrary to popular belief, I do eat at foodcourts and kopitiams, even hawker centres. However, a plus point would be cleanliness besides good-tasting food.

Ok, I must admit that I look for certain "qualities" in food places:
1) Cleanliness,
2) Taste (food),
3) service,
4) ambience,
5) reasonable pricing

Of course, I will adjust my expectations accordingly depending on the type of place. However, certain types of food only taste better and are more affordable in places like hawker centres, e.g. local fare (I'm not going to pay $30 for a plate of chicken rice!)
Another reason is that I don't like crowds, hence, usually the "atas" places are the ones that are less crowded. And if I'm alone, I would rather relax and lounge in a more comfortable location.

Anyway, I think I'm sometimes a bit 刁 (i.e. a bit more sensitive) to the taste of the food as well. But then taste is very personal; what I think is good might not be so to others. However, I tend to "analyse" the flavours in food (and figure out the ingredients if I can), especially when I know how they should be or are done. Also, I can say I know something about food having watched cooking shows & read recipes, although I won't say I'm a guru. (sorry, I tend to analyse everything) But of course, I would again adjust my expectations accordingly in different environments. Anyway, that's why I have those "tests" of restaurants/food places. e.g. katsu don is my litmus test of whether a stall or shop's Jap food is good.

I think I'm a bit more adventurous too. Not the exotic food type like eating frog legs or camel's foot, but if I see some new creation in a menu (which looks good), I would be game to try it. I also like to look for new places to eat (mainly special occasions).

All I can say is that I enjoy my food and I don't think I can go on a diet. My favourite kind of cuisine? French. I find that it is like an art and you can taste the fine flavours in a dish. But then, it's usually super ex. My favourite course is the Duck a l'Orange and the French desserts!
Another cuisine would be Italian. I think lasagne would be my favourite dish for this.
Then of course, there's always my mum's cooking. :)

(Actually, come to think of it, I like a lot of cuisines. Hmm...)

No comments:

Post a Comment